Open

20090301

Bar Talk

It's a good guess, but, no, the picture wasn’t taken at The Wulfshead. This one came to us via the Seattle Weekly, an article posted Dec. 28, 2007 at 10:50 am by Aja Pecknold. The photo was taken by Chris Kornelis. I am not sure of the location. Perhaps the gentleman from Seattle will know.

It’s an old joke, but it’s true: bartenders can have a lot in common with priests. And perhaps also with psychiatrists, to a lesser degree.

What say you, sir?

Why, yes, with prostitutes, too, I suppose. But that would be another story altogether.

The gentleman from Ohio, was just recounting to me, last Thursday, how in his 1855 book Table Talk, John Doran tells the story of a curate at Basse Bretagne, noted for his wit, who found that his duty at the confessional interfered with a number of invitations to dine. Seeking to indulge his stomach, the curate declared from the pulpit: "In order to avoid confusion, my brethren, I have to announce that tomorrow, Monday, I will receive at confession the liars only; on Tuesday, the misers; on Wednesday, the slanderers; on Thursday, the thieves; Friday, the libertines; and Saturday, the women of evil life." Doran notes that "the priest was left during that week to enjoy himself without let or hindrance."

I wonder whether anyone ever bothered to call the number on the card. I just gave it a try this morning, but I only got a voicemail box, and it is full.

Maybe Brian is in Church, what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. The gentleman from Seattle doesn't get out as much as he undoubtedly should.

    ReplyDelete