Open

20091122

Human Nature





I wouldn't know, sir.

In Korzybski's framework time binding is the third level in a progression of bindings. Energy binding is what all life forms do in the process of converting ambient energy for use in their life processes. Space binding is performed by animals and to a much lesser degree by some plants in their various activities. Finally, through language and culture, sapient beings such as humans perform time binding by the transmission of knowledge and abstractions through time which are accreted in cultures.

Which reminds me, sir: 2010 is upon us, and it dawned on me that no Calendar yet has been chosen by the management for the New Year.

My feelings in this has always been that such matters should be left to the patrons.

Reconciling everyone's aesthetic at The Wulfshead, which can go from the gentleman's own unique and exquisite tastes, to other patrons' many inclinations, such as, say, Mr. Trovato's very own exquisite sense of aesthetic... well, quite frankly, I am sure the gentleman can see why such an attempt at reconciliation is beyond the capacity of any staff---including me, sir. Nor do I feel that it should be attempted; to each his or her own, sir, that's what I always say. However, a patron with whom I was having a very similar conversation yesterday, brought to my attention that Girls and Corpses have quite an unusual 2010 calendar that might just do the trick this year.

What do you think, sir?




There is, to a certain degree, a bit of a Goyesque sensibility to the calendar that I am sure has not escaped the gentleman's notice.

Eros and Thanatos, sir.

Ariel and Caliban...


5 comments:

  1. Quite wonderful, sir. I heartily approve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually when things get like this in a bar, I know it's time to go home. Death never has tweaked my twig---except for beautiful girl vampires...and even then I never fantasize myself being sucked dead by her. I'd like to pride myself on being able to get into any fetish the human mind can come up with, but I'm afraid I've become old fashioned.

    I have no idea what Quinty, whose comment somehow inspired our Bartender, is going to make of this nor do I know (nor remember) (no more vodka please) whether Sarah Palin is segued into the entry...although Lockwood's latest 2012 blog may help. Do you suppose McCain actually was dead?

    As I put on my scarf and gloves, allow me to remind us of something DH Lawrence had to say about history and its fatal wheel~~~

    "Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what Lawrence said.

    As for the rest, oy vey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Human Nature was an R&B song by Madonna ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the life bringers and the, well, what shall we say... necrophiliacs?

    The drawing, by my father, having something to do with The Bells by Edgar A. Poe, related to something way back there. Several bites ago. Maybe even a gig by now. I can’t say that I remember now. (No excuse that: we’ve all heard that one before.)

    But being thus revealed, unburied like a corpse, if you will, makes one feel most queazy.

    After all, what’s it like wondering among the graves in the night, accompanied only by the moon? Looking all about you, wondering what may appear? The black cat passing by becomes large until the eyes can focus on it, and see it is small. And nothing to fret about. The moon, silver, silent, ever present on cloudless nights, displays its constant indifference. You’re there, alone. This too can be a life heightening mystery. Though surely you may want to go home, and soon.

    ReplyDelete